Wymondham Abbey Church Priory dates from the 1100's

Wymondham Abbey is located on Vicar Street, situated in Norfolk. The Abbey was established in 1107 by William D'Albini, King Henry the Firstís Chief Butler. It also served as a Benedictine Priory linked to the Benedictine Monastery of St. Albans, and later became an Abbey in 1448. Unfortunately, it was given up to the king upon the dissolution of monasteries during the 1500's under the governance of Henry VIII in the year 1538. It later became Wymondham's parish church. Wymondham Abbey is considered to be one of the most interesting historical churches in the East Anglian region. The interior has Twelfth Century nave arcades, a noticeable altar-screen that was designed by Sir Ninian Comper in the Twentieth Century, and the grand angel roofs built in the Fifteenth Century. Originally the Wymondham (or Windham) Abbey Church building plan was built in a cross shape, which has altered over the years as parts of the Abbey have been destroyed, such as the loss of the east wing reducing the Church size by half.



The Old Benedictine Priory Monastery now Wymondham parish Abbey.

Yarmouth Menu

Home
Wellington Pier
Norfolk Broads
Broads Boat Hire
Hemsby
Norwich
Dog Racing Caister
Holkham
Waxham Village
Cromer Town
Norfolk Windmills
Norfolk Churches
Sandringham House
Bird Watching
River Boat Holidays
Cottage Holidays
Suffolk Cottages
Caravan Holidays
Self Drive Boats
Pleasure Beach
SeaLife Centre
Yarmouth Weather

Pontins Holiday Park
   - Accomodation

Hoseasons Holidays
   - Vauxhall Park

Haven Holidays

Customer Comments

Contact Us

Bookmark Yarmouth


The Broads

Stalham
Wroxham & Hoveton
Potter Heigham
Reedham


Other UK Holidays

Devon
Clovelly


Share